Bill Dennison discusses the possibility of a personal acquaintance between J. Gresham Machen and Rudolf Bultmann. Both men are key figures in opposing wings of Protestantism. Machen being the figurehead of conservative Presbyterianism in the early 20th c. as he founded Westminster Theological Seminary and led the movement to begin the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. Rudolf Bultmann, on the other hand, pioneered the Second Quest of higher biblical criticism.
Dr. Dennison is Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies at Covenant College in Lookout Mountain, GA and Professor of Apologetics and Systematic Theology at Northwest Theological Seminary in Lynnwood, WA. Dennison is the author of The Young Bultmann: Context for His Understanding of God, 1884–1925.
- Comparing J. Gresham Machen and Rudolf Bultmann: Reflections upon the Marburg Experience, 1905â€“06
- Rudolf Bultmann’s Review of J. Gresham Machen’s, The Origin of Paul’s Religion
- J. Gresham Machen’s Letters Home from Marburg, 1905â€“1906
- Christ the Center episode 53 with Dr. Dennison on The Young Bultmann
- Photo of the University of Marburg by maywaskind
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program and learn how to subscribe.