Podcast worlds collide! Jim and Camden welcome Brad Isbell, perhaps even better known as @ChortlesWeakly, to the program to discuss ruling elders and general assemblies within Presbyterianism.
Along with @wresbyterian, Mr. Isbell hosts Presbycast, a delightful mix of high Presbyterian polity and low brow culture. Listen as we discuss the organization and operation of the PCA General Assembly, comparisons with other Presbyterian and Reformed bodies—most specifically the OPC, and what it means to take seriously the office of ruling elder.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 05:18 Ruling Elders at the PCA General Assembly
- 11:09 The Presbyterian Constitutional Covenant Union
- 23:09 Denominational Differences
- 35:56 Why Ruling Elders Tend to Be More Conservative
- 38:10 Taking Seriously the Office of Ruling Elder
- 48:09 The 2022 PCA General Assembly in Birmingham
- 54:06 Being a Presbyterian
- 57:34 Conclusion
- More in the PCA
- Todd Pruitt, “Doctrinal Latitude and the PCA” at Reformation21
- J. Gresham Machen, “The Purpose of the Covenant Union,” The Presbyterian Guardian, November 18, 1935, p. 54.
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.