Dr. Benjamin Gladd shares his methods and favorite tools for facilitating research and eventual publication of his writing.
Dr. Gladd is Professor of New Testament at Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson, Mississippi. He is the author of Handbook on the Gospels (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2021) and From Adam and Israel to the Church: A Biblical Theology of the People of God (Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2019). Along with G. K. Beale, he is the co-author of The Story Retold: A Biblical-Theological Introduction to the New Testament (Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2020). Dr. Gladd is also series editor for IVP’s Essential Studies in Biblical Theology and Baker’s Handbook on the New Testament.
- Richard Hays, Reading Backwards
- Sönke Ahrens, How to Take Smart Notes (Reformed Media Review, ep. 126 on the subject)
- Liquid Text
- Zotero (Reformed Media Review, ep. 129 on the subject)
- Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death
- 00:00:00 Introduction
- 00:07:02 Reading and Writing
- 00:10:08 Reading and Taking Smart Notes
- 00:19:16 Working with PDFs
- 00:23:43 Citation Managers
- 00:26:15 Writing for Teaching
- 00:31:11 Mind Mapping
- 00:36:07 The Effects of Technology
- 00:38:19 Cross References
- 00:40:50 From Bible Study to Writing Output
- 00:44:11 Plagiarism and Derivative Thought
- 00:55:44 The Cumulative Benefit of Consistent Study
- 00:59:39 The Pastor Is Called to Study
- 01:01:25 Going Deeper Independently
- 01:11:23 Updates on RTS Jackson and Dr. Gladd’s Books
- 01:13:08 Conclusion
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.