We welcome Chris Castaldo to the program to explore the Beatitudes. In his book, The Upside-Down Kingdom, Castaldo offers a fresh perspective on these familiar teachings of Jesus, showing how they reveal God’s heart for the poor, the meek, and the persecuted. He also provides practical guidance for how we can live out these values in our daily lives, both as individuals and as a community of believers. The book is recommended for anyone seeking to deepen their understanding of the gospel and its implications for our lives today.
Castaldo argues that the Beatitudes challenge our cultural assumptions about power, success, and happiness, and call us to embrace a different way of living that is grounded in humility, compassion, and justice. Castaldo also draws on his own experiences as a pastor and theologian to provide practical guidance for how we can live out these values in our daily lives. Overall, The Upside Down Kingdom offers a fresh perspective on the Beatitudes that is both challenging and inspiring.
Chris Castaldo (PhD, London School of Theology) is the lead pastor at New Covenant Church in Naperville, Illinois. Follow him on Twitter at @chriscastaldo.
Books by Chris Castaldo
- The Upside Down Kingdom: Wisdom for Life from the Beatitudes
- Talking with Catholics about the Gospel: A Guide for Evangelicals
- The Unfinished Reformation: What Unites and Divides Catholics and Protestants After 500 Years
- Journeys of Faith: Evangelicalism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism and Anglicanism
- Holy Ground: Walking with Jesus as a Former Catholic
- Justified in Christ: The Doctrines of Peter Martyr Vermigli and John Henry Newman and Their Ecumenical Implications
- 00:07 Introduction
- 03:12 Introducing The Upside-Down Kingdom
- 04:11 Catholicism and Evangelicalism
- 08:03 Studying the Reformation in Italy
- 11:11 Chris’ Family History and the Beatitudes
- 12:49 Worldly vs. Biblical Measures of Success
- 17:58 The Beginnings of The Upside-Down Kingdom
- 19:14 Inaugurated Eschatology and the Kingdom
- 23:23 Addressing Cultural Assumptions
- 30:38 Meekness
- 36:32 Societal and Political Implications of Jesus’ Teaching
- 39:51 Liberal Christian Ethics
- 42:26 The Beatitudes and Catholicism
- 48:57 Hopes and Aspirations for Readers of the Book
- 52:40 Upcoming Projects
- 54:34 Integrating Our Studies
- 56:10 Lessons from Italian Christians
- 58:35 Conclusion
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.