After recording a course on the subject for Reformed Academy, Dr. Carlton Wynne comes to the podcast studio to discuss John Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion. Topics covered include Calvin’s theology, the right ordering of knowledge, general and special revelation, the effects of the fall on human reasoning, natural theology, and comparisons to the thought of Thomas Aquinas and Cornelius Van Til. Carlton also shares about his experience as a pastor-theologian and his talk on maintaining true religion in a modernist world at the recent Reformation Worship Conference. The conversation touches on the legacy of J. Gresham Machen and the need for the church to guard the good deposit of faith.
- 00:00:07 Introduction
- 00:05:41 Introduction to Carlton’s Course on Calvin’s Institutes
- 00:13:56 The Church and the Academy
- 00:20:58 Approaching a Course on the Institutes
- 00:30:30 The Natural Knowledge of God
- 00:37:52 Natural Theology, Ethics, and “Formal” Truth
- 00:49:48 The Reformation Worship Conference
- 00:57:28 Machen 2.0
- 01:10:39 Calvin and the Threefold Office of Mediator
- 01:12:52 Conclusion
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.