Bob LaRocca leads a discuss on Thomas Aquinas’ Second Way. The Second Way is an argument for the existence of God from efficient causes. The flow of the argument is as follows:
- We perceive a series of efficient causes of things in the world.
- Nothing exists prior to itself.
- Therefore nothing is the efficient cause of itself.
- If a previous efficient cause does not exist, neither does the thing that results.
- Therefore if the first thing in a series does not exist, nothing in the series exists.
- The series of efficient causes cannot extend ad infinitum into the past, for then there would be no things existing now.
- Therefore it is necessary to admit a first efficient cause, to which everyone gives the name of God.
Visit this site for more information regarding Thomas’ Five Ways.
Philosophy for Theologians aims to look critically at the problems of philosophy by considering everything in light of God’s revelation. The program not only wants to address philosophical questions but also to equip you with a way to think about these questions. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.