Patrick O’Banion joins us to speak about Girolamo Zanchi and his book, The Spiritual Marriage between Christ and His Church and Every One of the Faithful. O’Banion translated and introduced a new edition of the book published by Reformation Heritage Books. Zanchi was an Italian Reformer, with close ties to Peter Martyr Vermigli.
Developing from Girolamo Zanchi’s exegetical labors through Ephesians, Spiritual Marriage draws readers into the rich theological of doctrine of union with Christ. Following the lead of the apostle Paul, Zanchi demonstrates how our earthly marriages fulfill their truest purpose by drawing our attention toward the spiritual marriage between Christ and His Church. By paying attention to the Genesis account of Adam’s marriage to Eve, to pertinent Old Testament laws, and to the teachings of Jesus and His apostles, we begin to understand something of that higher and heavenly union. This new translation helps us better understand the great mystery of Christ and His bride.
Patrick O’Banion is International Trainer at Training Leaders International.
- 00:00:00 Introduction
- 00:05:05 Biographical Introduction to Zanchi
- 00:09:14 Zanchi’s Works
- 00:19:08 Relationship with Peter Martyr Vermigli
- 00:21:39 Zanchi’s Marriage
- 00:24:07 Zanchi’s Acquaintance with Grief
- 00:29:43 Conflict in Chiavenna
- 00:32:53 Conflict in Strasbourg over the Lord’s Supper
- 00:40:35 Thoughts on Zanchi and Conflict
- 00:47:51 Zanchi’s Work, Spiritual Marriage
- 00:52:39 Zanchi and the Typology of Marriage
- 00:54:43 Hermeneutics and Theological Method
- 01:05:53 Conclusion
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.