Danny Olinger and Camden Bucey discuss the preface and introduction to J. Gresham Machen’s book, Christianity and Liberalism. This is the 100th anniversary of the publication of this important work. In this episode, we discuss the historical circumstances that led Machen to address the Ruling Elders Association of Chester Presbytery. His address was eventually expanded to become this classic work.
- Robert Tarullo’s audio recording of this chapter.
- J. Gresham Machen, “Liberalism or Christianity.” The Princeton Theological Review 20.1 (1922): 93-117.
- D. G. Hart, ed. J. Gresham Machen: Selected Shorter Writings
- D. G. Hart, Machen and the Presbyterian Controversy
- Lefferts Loetscher, The Broadening Church: A Study of Theological Issues in the Presbyterian Church Since 1869
- John Updike, “Pigeon Feathers“
- 00:00:07 Introduction
- 00:01:55 The Significance of the Book
- 00:07:17 Historical Background
- 00:27:43 Conservatives and Moderates
- 00:40:19 Modernity
- 00:51:42 Modern Art, Science, and H. G. Wells
- 00:57:31 The Rights of Individuals
- 01:06:23 What Christianity Is
- 01:09:25 Conclusion
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.