In 1904, the same year Herman Bavinck published Christian Worldview, Bavinck published a book titled Christelijke wetenschap (Christian Science) in which he commented on a movement to “build science . . . on the foundation of the Christian faith.” Cory Brock joins us to speak about this book and Bavinck’s views on the subject.
Dr. Cory C. Brock is assistant minister of St. Columba’s Free Church and part-time lecturer in theology at Edinburgh Theological Seminary. He is the author of Orthodox yet Modern: Herman Bavinck’s Use of Friedrich Schleiermacher and co-author of Neo-Calvinism: A Theological Introduction.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 06:22 A Different Type of “Christian Science”
- 15:38 The Antithesis and Scientific Presuppositions
- 19:42 The Trinity and Creation
- 23:58 The Image of God and the Hope of Christian Science
- 31:12 Theology as Queen and Servant of Science
- 38:40 Science in the New Heavens and New Earth
- 43:14 Sin, Knowledge, and the Christian University
- 49:01 Non-Christians and Science
- 59:03 Conclusion
Christ the Center focuses on Reformed Christian theology. In each episode a group of informed panelists discusses important issues in order to encourage critical thinking and a better understanding of Reformed doctrine with a view toward godly living. Browse more episodes from this program or subscribe to the podcast feed.